The Mid-Atlantic’s Premier Urology Practice
Chesapeake Urology is the largest urology practice in Maryland and the Mid-Atlantic region, providing a comprehensive array of urologic services to patients. Chesapeake Urology operates 24 medical offices and more than 15 AAAHC-certified ambulatory surgery centers in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Harford, Howard, Carroll, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Wicomico, Worcester, MD counties, Baltimore City, and Sussex County, DE, and has a staff of more than 850 including over 85 physicians and more than 25 advanced practice providers.
Chesapeake Urology has more than two dozen fellowship-trained doctors in a wide variety of urologic specialties. Many of its urologists are “super-specialists” having experience and training in specific conditions beyond general urology. Chesapeake Urology’s team also includes radiation oncologists, a urologic pathologist, male infertility and sexual health specialists, stone disease specialists, reconstructive urologists, prostate cancer specialists, robotic surgeons, urologic oncologists, physician assistants, patient navigators, nurse practitioners, and many others.
Chesapeake Urology has a comprehensive prostate cancer program as well as a robust clinical trials program spearheaded by renowned clinical investigators, offering patients breakthrough therapies even before they are publicly available.
Chesapeake Urology has also been named one of the top places to work in healthcare nationally by Modern Healthcare magazine and Becker’s ASC Review, and locally by the Baltimore Sun, Baltimore magazine, and the Baltimore Business Journal. The practice is dedicated to clinical excellence and cutting-edge research. Our physician staff is a blend of experienced urologists with long careers, numerous accolades and broad vision, who are here to mentor and support our up and coming, younger physicians, trained in the latest state-of-the-art techniques and filled with new ideas and passion. Our nursing, research, and support staff also are outstanding.
Chesapeake Urology Firsts
- Chesapeake Urology’s Large, Complex Kidney Stone program, with Director Julio G. Davalos, M.D., is the first and only practice in the nation to offer patients tubeless PCNL surgery in our Summit Ambulatory Surgical Center.
- Our urologists were the first in Baltimore to offer da Vinci robotic surgery on a community hospital level so that more men having prostatectomies could have the benefits of a faster recovery, less blood loss and fewer complications. Chesapeake Urology surgeons have performed more da Vinci robotic surgeries than any other group of urologists in the area – more than 1,000 procedures – providing our patients with the reassurance that they are in the hands of surgeons with the utmost expertise.
- Chesapeake Urology surgeons performed the first robotic cystectomy in Maryland.
- Chesapeake Urology surgeons were also the first in the Mid-Atlantic region to remove a kidney stone percutaneously and the first to implant a penile prosthesis.
- 3-D Ultrasound/MRI Fusion Biopsy
Areas of Specialization
- Advanced Prostate Cancer
- Androgen Deprivation Clinic
- Advanced Kidney Stone Program
- PCNL/Tubeless PCNL
- Medical Metabolic Management
- Minimally Invasive Surgery & Robotics
- Reconstructive Urology & Trauma
- Male Reproductive Medicine, Surgery & Sexuality
- Penile Injection Clinic
- Women’s Urology & Urogynecology
- Pediatric Urology
Physician Leadership Positions
- 16 Chiefs of Urology in local hospitals
- Chief of Genitourinary Oncology, U of MD Baltimore Washington Medical Center
- Director, Urologic Oncology Institute, U of MD St. Joseph Medical Center
- Maryland Chairman, Division of Surgical Specialties, MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center
- Chief of Staff, MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center
- Chair, Dept. of Radiation Oncology, GBMC
- Principal Investigator/Radiation Therapy Oncology Group, St. Agnes Hospital
- Urologic Consultant, Baltimore Ravens
- Urologic Consultant, Baltimore Orioles
Commitment to Clinical Excellence
- Fully Implemented Electronic Health Records (since 2004)
- Fully Implemented Medicare PQRI and ePrescribe
- Dedicated Chief Medical Officers
- Dedicated Compliance Officer
- Physician Oversight Committee
- Monthly M&M and Grand Rounds
- Journal Club
- Physician Mentoring Program
- Physician 360 Reviews
- AAAHC Accreditation
- QA/QI Committee
Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Surgeries performed include:
- Tubeless Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL)
- 3D Ultrasound/MRI Fusion Biopsy for Prostate Cancer
- Prostate Biopsy (TRUS)
- Brachytherapy for prostate cancer
- Orchiectomy for testicular cancer
- Circumcision; Circumcision Repair
- Genital Surgery
- Minimally invasive treatments for BPH
- Microsurgical Vasectomy Reversal
- Penile Prosthesis
- Artificial Sphincter
- Pediatric Surgery
Chesapeake Urology Research Associates (CURA)
Chesapeake Urology Research Associates (CURA) is a leading research group among U.S. urology practices. Currently, more than 60 active clinical trials dealing with the prevention and treatment of urologic conditions in six locations are available. CURA staff consists of experienced principal investigators and IATA-certified clinical research coordinators who are dedicated to superior patient care.
Clinical trials are offered for:
- Bladder Cancer
- BPH (Enlarged Prostate)
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Kidney Stones
- Overactive Bladder
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse
- Prostate Cancer
- Stress Urinary Incontinence
Learn more about Chesapeake Urology, our physicians, locations, and comprehensive urologic care – visit www.chesapeakeurology.com.